Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sour Dough

So I have been working on this beautiful starter for about two weeks. Just a couple of days ago I started to build up the volume so that I could cook with it. I am so very excited because I was able to make the best pancakes ever! Even the children liked them.

You see, a couple of years ago I made a sour dough starter. I used half spelt flour and half rye flour. I only fed it every twenty four hours. Every thing that I made with that starter was SOUR! I realize that sour dough is supposed to have a tang to it.However this was extremely sour and the children did not want any parts of it. I had a hard time eating the bread that I made with it. Please do not tell the children I said that! LOL! So when I started my new starter the children were begging me to reconsider. HaHa!


 So my beautiful starter made it's way into my pancake batter. I used a simple recipe from one of my cookbooks. It already called for starter to be added. Since it was my first time cooking with sour dough in a while, I did not want to experiment to much.

The Pancakes were very fluffy and had a very good texture to them. I doubled the batch in the hopes that there would be enough for another meal. However my skeptical children liked them so much that I only had a few to put away. I do not want to complain too much because at least I know now that I can use this starter with good results :)

                             The children gave the pancakes two thumbs up!!

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a post on catching your own starter! I am so glad you finally have some starter to work with, it makes the best English muffins. I look forward to seeing what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Melissa. I am really excited to try new recipes!

    ReplyDelete