Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Canning






Canning season is upon us. So far I have only canned a couple of batches of zucchini. Every time I talk about canning zucchini people tend to make a funny face. It is because they have never heard of canning zucchini. Well neither had I until I bought The Practical Produce Cookbook. In this cookbook I have found some really great recipes. However my favorite and also my family's favorite is the Zucchini Pineapple. I have been canning this recipe for several years and it is wonderful. So great that my children will eat it straight out of the jar.
This is a great, easy recipe. I use it to mainly substitute for crushed pineapple. We use it in yogurt, cakes, breads, muffins, and even in jello. The zucchini takes on the pineapple flavor and you can barely tell the difference. This recipe really doubles well.

Zucchini Pineapple To Can

4 quarts zucchini, grated or diced
1 1/2 C. bottled lemon juice
1 46 oz. can unsweetened pineapple juice
3 C. sugar

Simmer all ingredients together for 20 minutes. Pack hot into half-pint or pint jars (do not use quarts). Evenly distribute solids and liquids into the jars. Leave a 1/2 inch headspace. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.




This is a great way to use up all of your zucchini and to also make a convenience food that you will not have to purchase. If you try it let me know what you think. Have a great week.

Blessings

4 comments:

  1. I have also seen this recipe done in rings and chunks. Have you tried it that way. I have been wanting to try it but got too busy last year canning all of my tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina,
    I have done chunks and they have also turned out great. They may take a few more minutes to simmer. Just watch them and when they turn slightly translucent then they are ready to can. I have not even thought of rings. That is a great idea. I will have to try that. You have a beautiful blog and I can see why you have not had the time to try this recipe. It looks like you have been on a canning spree! Happy canning!

    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sounding recipe. I have a ton of zucchini and I'm always looking for new ways to use it. I think I give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete